maandag 16 juni 2008

Doing some leftover tasks

I still had to do the exterior laminate for one beam mount. The other three I laminated while the hull was standing upright on its supports. Stupid: it's much easier to work on the mounts whith the hull laying on its side, like I did with this last mount. You can easily roll the hull on your own.
I have learned it's easiest to laminate the hull-upper folding strut slot corner later on with a light cloth instead of trying to do that while doing the 'main' laminate.

I'm also working on the mast post. It is made of a piece of hardwood. In the picture I'm using soms scrap wood to measure the angle I need to cut the mast post.

Karel Michielsen urged me to strengthen the supports for the anchor well hatch with a filet and a piece of glass, which I thought was a good idea indeed. Here's how I did it.
At the moment I'm also using a lot of time to search for companies to deliver the hardware, masts, sails, etc. I'm having a hard time finding a store to buy the metals and bolts. I bought the 1" stainless steel ball at the ebay-shop of toolsupply (thanks to Grant's blog) but that's about it till now. In the US there are some very nice online stores for small quantities metal, like http://www.industrialmetalsales.com/ and http://www.onlinemetals.com/ in Seattle but the shipping costs of those companies to Europe is very high. Any tips to get metals in Europe (6061 T6 Alu and 316 Stainless) are appreciated!

2 opmerkingen:

chris moller zei

Menno, the boat's looking really impressive! I like the hardwood mastpost. After 2.5 yrs waiting and trying to get this project off the ground I have also finally started -
http://f-22sail30.blogspot.com/

So Sail 30 will be in your neighbourhood - and hopefully not too far behind you re getting the boat in the water... dreams but not from want of trying - cheers Chris (based in Groningen)

Menno zei

Chris,

looked at your blog and with this building speed your boat might be finished earlier! I hope to finish mine before the beginning of next summer.

If you're still looking for aluminium: I believe I found a supplier in Holland willing to deliver small quantities. If you're interested, let me know.
Menno