zaterdag 16 mei 2009

Floats ready

After filling some small spots I re-primed the whole floats. Then I sanded the primer back with wet-sanding (grit 120 and then 240 if I remember correctly), using the very old sanding machine below. This machine is my favourite machine. For the work on the boat/epoxy/filler it works much better than my two fancy and very expensive festool sanding machines.

I didn't work very hard on the inner side of the floats in between the beams, as no one will ever see those areas under the wingnets.
Below the floats have been painted with one coat. The next evening I painted a second coat.
Looking from really near it's easy to see the paint job is not a professional spay-job, but standing 1,5 meter afway it looks quite good in my opinion. The gloss is OK (see below), I guess it will even shine a bit more after putting on wax.

Below most hatches etc. have been bolted down. Don't underestimate the time it takes to install all fittings and hatches. There are a lot of bolts to fasten, and all rvs bolts in alu parts have to be insulated to prevent corrosion. I'm using a product named 'duralac', a sort of quick drying paint especially meant to insulate metals.
I didn't put non-skid on the bow and stern area of the floats, as I expect I won't be walking there. If necessary I can buy a pot of gray paint and extend the non-skid any time.

Geen opmerkingen: