maandag 2 maart 2009

Multiple projects

I bought a mast from Z-spars + some parts like spreaders, tangs, sheaves, etc. When it gets warmer I'll start working on the mast, which is laying outside in my garden.
The mast section is a Z-spar 301. Unfortunately no wing-shaped section. Those are hard to find in Europe. Good thing about this mast it's relatively cheap (950 euro for the anodizes mast section) and light (3 kg/meter). I got a 12 meter section and had to cut it to length to fit it in my backgarden.
Trick to get a straight cut: wrap a piece of square paper around and use that to draw a guide-line for the saw-cut.Plans have been updated: the original ruddermount is not strong enough and needs some extra glass. Here the extra glass is in place. I could have chosen the option of the side supports in stead of the glass, but thought it would be better (looking) to sand down the bog + primer and put on the glass. I checked if with the ruddercase would still fit with the extra glass. No problem.
Tip for other builders: when building the ruddercase, check the clearance in the cutouts for the gudgeons. I found out these were very tight and had to make the cutouts a bit deeper for the ruddercase to fit.
Also: don't try to put the rudder pin retaining screw in the center/front of the tube, else you won't be able to reach it. Put it angled a bit sideways (see photo below).
Interior paint is ready.
Mold + glass + plastic on top for the wignet support. Using a piece of aluminium angle is o good way to keep the glass from lifting at the 90 degree edge. The finished support is very floppy but I guess it will be very solid once it has been fitted to the float.
I bought an old bandsaw for less money then I had to pay for the 30 cm G10-tube for the rudder. Wish I had bought it earlier. This is a fantastic tool for sawing pieces of wood and aluminium, so much better than using a jigsaw. Here is the plate for the mastfoot. 3 minutes work and almost ready. As with the parts for the mast-step it's best to drill all the holes first using a drill-press. As long as you've got all the holes in the right place, it's hard to mess up these parts.
First layer of white paint (RAL 9010) is on. Tonight I will put the second layer on. After that I only need to paint the grey non-skid to basically finish the hull.

Geen opmerkingen: